I suggest you ...

timezones

I don't understand how you have your timezones set up, specifically for the United States, maybe I'm just missing something but wouldn't it just be easier to have the standard timezones listed ie pacific, mountain, central etc... instead of a mix of states and cities. I couldn't find any recognizable city anywhere close to where I live.

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    AdminFabiano Franz (Admin, coolendar) responded  · 

Dear users,

This is based on the standard timezone database.
    The big advantage on using the country/city format is to have daylight savings automatically set, what doesn’t happen on other formats.
    However this is also a cultural point, we believe we must provide the formats people are used to.
    So in your opinion what other formats should we provide?

Thanks for the feedback! ;)

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Doug Powell commented  · 

This is not just cultural, it also has to do with basic geographic knowledge. I personally don't have a problem with the country/city idea, many services do this. So I won't consume one of my votes. However, I can understand that some folks have trouble with this. For the USA you might consider a zip code database as well.

• PhilG commented  · 

Regardless of the timezone format e.g. Americas/city, My timezone was wrong this morning. I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada. I chose Americas/Toronto and it shows testerday. I change to Americas/New York and it changes to today.

Don't be so hung up on the format! I almost missed an appointment becasue the date was wrong.

• Scott commented  · 

I was a bit off-put by the time zone setup. I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but having "America/New York" at the top of my page just looks wrong, like the settings aren't mine. These may be standard timezone cities, but that's not the way I know them, so it just looked like I wasn't able to pick the correct location and just had to find one that I knew was the correct time.

My favorite idea of those listed would be to query the local time and give choices, with the map coming in second. Either way, for the USA I think the pacific, central, etc. format with a DST checkbox is far more familiar and feels much more correct (even if you wanted the country/city format in parentheses or something).

• cbmeeks commented  · 

When you sign up, the FIRST thing you should HAVE to answer is your timezone. And it should be a nice clickable map. The average user may not see that tiny text.

• asaayers commented  · 

I found the timezones to be a bit hard to read. A space on each side of the / would go a long way. It would also be nice if I had a box to type my timezone and have it auto-complete. I think the less you have to scroll, the better.

Javascript can also query my local time. You could present a box with only the timezones that match my system time and a link for "more" if none of them are correct.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Standard timezone formats with an optional DST checkbox would be great. I can not even find a correct timezone for myself and/or no major cities in Texas even listed

• AdminFabiano Franz (Admin, coolendar) commented  · 

Dear users,

This is based on the standard timezone database.
        The big advantage on using the country/city format is to have daylight savings automatically set, what doesn't happen on other formats.
        However this is also a cultural point, we believe we must provide the formats people are used to.
        So in your opinion what other formats should we provide?

Thanks for the feedback! ;)

• selin commented  · 

perhaps timezones for countries that use them in their daily lives (ex. usa) and continent/country/city listings for others?

because in smaller countries like mine, the international time zone (ex. gmt-2) is not common knowledge, since there is only one.

Feedback and Knowledge Base